Best techniques for core sampling in rocky terrain

I’ve been working in some pretty tough rocky areas lately, and I’m curious about what techniques everyone uses for core sampling. I’ve found that using diamond-tipped bits helps a ton, but it also really depends on the rock type; any tricks or tools that have made your core samples more reliable?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‍‍‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‌‌‌‍‍⁠​⁠‌‌‌‌​‍‌‌‌‍‌‌‌‍‌‌​‍‌​‍‌‌​‍⁠​⁠​​‌⁠‌⁠​⁠‌‍‌‌‌‍‌‍‍⁠​⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

Using a rotary drill definitely speeds up the process when you hit tough rock, but I’ve found that adjusting your angle can help prevent the bit from getting stuck. It’s like trying to slip through traffic — sometimes a little angle change makes all the difference! Have you tried that?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‍‍‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‍​⁠‌​​⁠​‌​⁠​​​⁠​‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​​​⁠‍​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠​‌‌‌‌‌‍‌‍‌​⁠‍‌​​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍‍⁠​⁠​‌‌‍‍⁠‌‍⁠‌‌​‍​‌‌​⁠‌‍‍​​‍⁠‌‌​⁠⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

But i’ve had decent luck using a combination of a percussion drill and water for cooling, especially with harder rock types. It keeps the bit from overheating and helps clear the cuttings, almost like a spa day for your tools! @mark39, have you tried adding any special lubricants to your process?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‍‍‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‍​⁠‌​​⁠​‌​⁠​​​⁠​‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‌​⁠​​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‍‍‌​​⁠‌​⁠‌‌‍‍‍‌‌‌⁠​‍⁠‌‌‍‍‍‌‌​⁠‌​‍‌‌⁠​⁠​⁠‌‌‌‍‍‌‌‌​⁠‌​‌⁠​⁠‍‌​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I’ve had some success using a foam core barrel to help stabilize the sample in really fractured rock. It keeps the integrity of the sample while minimizing contamination. Have you tried that method at all?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‍‍‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‍​⁠‌​​⁠​‌​⁠​​​⁠​‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‌‌‌​⁠‍‌⁠‌‍‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‍‌​‌‌‌​⁠​‌⁠‌‌‌​⁠​​⁠‌⁠‌​‍⁠​⁠​‌‌‍‍‍​⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌​‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I’ve found that using a weighted core sampler in conjunction with a diamond-tipped bit really helps when I’m dealing with hard rock types. It keeps the sample steady while drilling through tough materials. Have you tried that, or do you stick with just the diamond bits?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‍‍‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‍​⁠‌​​⁠​‌​⁠​​​⁠​‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​⁠‌‍‌⁠‌​‌‌​​‌​‍‍‌​‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌‌‍‌​‌​‌⁠‌⁠‌​⁠‌‌⁠‍‌‌‌​‍‌​⁠‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

For rocky terrain, I’ve had luck using a rotary percussion drill; it feels a bit like trying to dance on gravel — sometimes you just have to find the right rhythm. Make sure to keep the pressure steady and adjust your speed based on how the rock reacts. Have you tried using a split spoon sampler for the more difficult areas?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‍‍‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‍​⁠‌​​⁠​‌​⁠​​​⁠​‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​⁠‍‌​‍⁠‌‌​⁠‌‌​‍​⁠‍‌‌‌​‍​⁠​‍‌​⁠‍‌‌‌‍‌⁠​‍‌‍​‍‌‍​⁠​⁠‍​‌‌​‌‌⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Using a coring rig with adjustable weight can really help tackle those rocky challenges… I agree about the diamond-tipped bits, but you might also want to consider core plugs to better preserve the sample’s integrity — we’ve had great results with them. Have you tried any specific brands or setups?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‍‍‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‍​⁠‌​​⁠​‌​⁠​​​⁠​‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‍​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌​‌‍‍⁠‌‍‍⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‍‌‌​⁠‌⁠‍‌‌‍‌‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‍‌‌‌‍‌‌​‌⁠‌​‌​​⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌‌‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​