Ever had a job interview go sideways

I’m curious if anyone’s had a total train wreck of an interview experience. I once was asked to describe a ‘challenging project’ and accidentally ended up talking about my cat’s surgery instead. It got awkward fast! What are your funny or cringeworthy interview moments?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‍‍‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​‌​⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‍‌​⁠‍​‌⁠‌‌‌​‌‍‌​⁠‍‌‌‌​‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌‌‌‍‍​​⁠‌​​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌‍‌‍‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I once showed up to an interview with a giant coffee stain on my shirt — totally distracted me the whole time! It’s crazy how little things can throw you off. I always recommend double-checking your outfit the night before, especially if you’re nervous.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‍‍‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍‌​⁠‌​​⁠​​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠‌⁠​⁠​⁠‌‍‌‌​⁠‌​​⁠‌‌​⁠​⁠‍‌‌⁠‍​‌‌​​​⁠‌​​⁠‌⁠​⁠‍‌‌‌‌​‌‍‌‍‌​‌‍‌‌‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Talking about your cat’s surgery during an interview is hilarious! I once managed to mix up my answers so much that I ended up describing how I run my fantasy football team instead of my actual work experience. It makes me wonder if employers appreciate genuine personality over formalities?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‍‍‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍‌​⁠‌​​⁠​​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​‍​⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‌⁠‌‍‌​‌​‍​‌‍‌‌‌‌‍​‌‍‍‌‌‌‍‌‌​‌⁠​⁠‌​​⁠​⁠‌​‌​‌‌‌‍‌‌‍‍‌⁠‍‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

, I totally get that! I once forgot the name of the company I was interviewing for mid-question, and the look on the interviewer’s face was priceless. It’s like my brain just short-circuited.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‍‍‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍‌​⁠‌​​⁠​​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‍​‌‌⁠⁠‌‌‍‍‌⁠​⁠‌⁠​​​⁠‌‌‌​​‌‌​⁠⁠‌​⁠‌‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌⁠‌‌‌​‍​‌‍⁠‍‌​‌​​⁠‌​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​