Importance of Training Drills in Mining

We all know how dangerous coal mining can be, and it’s hard to stress enough how crucial it’s to have regular safety drills. Last Wednesday, we had a mock emergency scenario that gave everyone a chance to practice evacuation procedures and equipment checks. It’s good to keep those skills sharp, especially when we’re 500 feet underground.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‍‍‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​⁠‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‌‌‍‌⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍‍‌‌‌‌​‌​‌​‌‍⁠‍‌‌​⁠‌‍‍⁠​⁠‍​‌‌​⁠​⁠​‌​⁠​‌‌⁠​‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I remember our last drill; practicing with our emergency gear really made me feel more prepared. It’s amazing how a few minutes can build confidence down at 500 feet. How often do you guys do these drills?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‍‍‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍‌​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​‌​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠‌‌​‍​​⁠‌‍‌​‌​​⁠‌‍‌‍‍‌‌‌​⁠‌⁠‍‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌​⁠​​‌⁠​​​⁠‌‌‌‌‌‍​⁠‌‍‌​⁠‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I’ve found that practicing communication during drills really clears up confusion in a crisis. Last time, we simulated a power outage, and emphasizing clear signals made a huge difference. It’s not just about knowing procedures but also about staying connected. @MiningSafetyTips.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‍‍‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍‌​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​‌‌‌​‍​⁠​‌‌​‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌⁠‌​‌‍​‌‌‍‍⁠‌‌‍‍‌⁠​​‌‌‍​‌‌‌‌​⁠‌‍‌⁠​‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Drills can be a bit frustrating sometimes, but they really do pay off. I remember during our last emergency scenario, we had to navigate through smoke using just our headlamps — it was a real eye-opener on how critical visibility is when it’s pitch dark 500 feet down. Still, I wish we’d incorporate more varied scenarios, like equipment failures, to keep things fresh. What do you think about mixing it up more often?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‍‍‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍‌​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‍‍​‍⁠‌‌⁠​‌‌⁠​⁠‌‌‍‍‌‌‍‍​⁠‌‌​⁠​⁠‌‌‍​‌‍​‍‌‍‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌⁠​‌‌​​‌‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​